Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bear witness to the truth

A friend sent me an E-mail in which some very unscientific claims were made, to which I duly responded with a lecture about the importance of controls in experiments and of calculating p-values to assess the statistical significance of results.

My battle with ignorance often puts me at odds with those I love. Even to acknowledge their ignorance seems to me an act of disrespect. And yet to deny it would be to deny the obvious, and might lead to other errors of knowledge down the road. My commitment to truth must take precedence over filial piety. Or rather, my piety is reserved for the quest for truth.

If the scientist better understood the passion which motivates him, he would talk far more about bearing witness to the truth. If the religious man better understood the passion which motivates him, he would talk far less about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment