Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Customer is King

The foremost requirement for success in the world is not intelligence, but rather the firm and unquestioning conviction that intelligence is of less value and authority than money. We must never question that our intelligence must be placed in service to those who have money, no matter how they got it and how they use it. We must never demand intelligence or virtue from those who employ us.

“The customer is king” expresses divine right in its modern form. Those with money are worthy to be served no matter how they got it and how they use it. Those without money deserve nothing from us no matter how noble and virtuous they are. If we dare to doubt this premise, we soon find ourselves on the receiving end of the violence of the organized forces of the privileged few who inherit divine right in its modern quantitative form and don’t want it questioned.

Work for the rich. Accept their handouts. No uncomfortable questions ever arise. It’s a comfortable, convenient life. Why on earth would I insist on making myself so miserable with my doubts?

I have the sort of conscience that refuses to accept a lie as truth. I refuse to accept that a dollar used to build a shelter for the homeless is equal to a dollar used to build the fifth mansion of a billionaire. I refuse to accept that a dollar offered by a dictator who flees to New York with his money is equal to a dollar earned by honest, diligent, devoted toil.

If I am virtuous, people come forward with offers of food and shelter. Money is a false coin that circulates in place of virtue and wisdom. If I need money to persuade my hosts to house and feed me, it can only be because I failed to persuade them with my virtue.

We are so eager to have a simple, quick, objective, tangible, quantitative way of assessing whether or not our fellow human beings are worthy of help, we allow ourselves to be persuaded there could be such a way. But some reflection will tell us there can never be. A tangible thing that claims to represent something intangible can never really adequately represent that intangible thing. Even if, as the Libertarians imagine, we could have a perfectly free and just economic system, money would still not represent a person’s worthiness to be served.

No matter how many certificates people with authoritative sounding titles issue telling me something is true, I must, in the end, decide for myself if it is true or false. No matter how many certificates the authorities issue telling me a billionaire is more worthy of help than a beggar, it is up to me to decide for myself if what the authorities tell me is true.

I am destined to end up in jail, on the streets, perhaps dead before my time, all because my mind is too stubborn to accept the conventional lie as the truth. My insistence on truth is certainly maladaptive. It’s remarkable that it wasn’t weeded out sooner by evolution. Why am I so stubborn? Because I know there is no way I can knowingly accept a single falsehood without corrupting the functioning of my entire mind. The corruption is particularly prominent if I accept a falsehood that pertains to some of the most urgent and important questions in life—Who is worthy of my help? Whom can I ignore?—and it is precisely in regard to such fundamental questions that the world most fervently insists it will decide for me which lie must pass for truth.

“What is truth?” The question is on the lips of everyone who has meekly bowed to the authorities and accepted the conventional lie. Skeptics insist there’s no such thing as truth, that everything we call truth comes from authority. They want to characterize the stubborn mind that insists on the truth as no better than Don Quixote, waging a battle for a phantom that doesn’t even exist. But such skeptics can be easily refuted. Even if every truth has some taint of authority attached to it, the skeptics know perfectly well that this taint doesn’t attach to everything in the same way, or to the same degree. Perhaps the skeptic never managed to persuade himself of even one single truth based on argument and evidence. Perhaps he even accepts the Pythagorean theorem on authority. Perhaps for him there really is no such thing as truth. But for those who sincerely care about truth, the genuine skeptics who devote our skeptical energy to what seems least plausible rather than cynically spreading it onto everything, it soon becomes clear that things pass for truth in very different ways. There are lies that pass for truth because they are supported by power. And there are powerless truths that conquer courageous minds even when all authority is opposed to them.

We bow before kings because we are in awe of their power. And it is precisely because of our credulous submission that they have this power. I am in awe because others are in awe. Others are in awe because I am. It's a circular argument on a grand scale. The divine right of money is no different. We're in awe of the rich because of their power, and their power derives from our awe of them. Those who bow and scrape in the royal court, accepting what conventionally passes for virtue and excellence as genuine virtue and excellence, have always seemed to me ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment