Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Queerness isn't just about gender

When I learned my times tables, I could count on my fingers and see for myself they were true and right. When I learned it was wrong for boys to kiss other boys, and asked why, no one could give me a satisfactory answer. Other boys wanted to kiss me. Why should I say no? As a result of my refusal to conform to arbitrary rules without reason or logic, my classmates called me queer. I later became part of a community where the word they fling as an insult is a badge of pride.

There is an aesthetic that sees sameness and uniformity as beautiful, and everything different and unusual as ugly. It is not one I share. For me, diversity is beautiful. The courageous soul that seeks to perfect itself in the unique way it and it alone can, that doesn't cringe and cower before the appointed authorities but insists on choosing its own path through life—this is the soul I admire.

Some of the boys that wanted to kiss me had the courage to question their society's arbitrary and illogical expectations in regard to gender, but in all other respects were perfectly willing to accept what they were told. These boys, needless to say, didn't make it far with me.

When a society shares a uniform and undifferentiated medium of exchange, we invariably find that its members begin to share a uniform and undifferentiated passion to acquire this medium of exchange. Those who were consumed with this uniform and undifferentiated passion I always found boring and tedious. It was the ones who had the courage to resist the pressure to conform their aspirations to those of the herd, and bravely nurture queer aspirations that have nothing whatsoever to do with the herd and its medium of exchange—these were the ones that succeeded with me.

"Have the courage to use your own understanding without the guidance of another." This excellent advice from German philosopher Immanuel Kant, if we would follow it, would prevent us from becoming cowardly conformists. Don't let the market decide for you what skills and talents are most worthy of cultivating. Have the courage to use your own understanding to decide for yourself. No person, no institution, no majority, no market, can decide for you.

"There are some people who despise wealth because they have lost hope to become rich," says English philosopher Francis Bacon. The hope to become rich isn't something we're born with. It's something we learn as we learn to conform. And, like all things we learn when we're young, we must subject it to ever renewed scrutiny as we mature.

When a man tries to impress me with his wealth, he only shows that when we are naked together, when I am with him rather than his wealth, there will be nothing left to impress me. His wealth shows he can impress others. But my standards are higher.

"Nothing is truly great which it is great to despise," says Greek philosopher Longinus. External things like wealth, honor, power and reputation will impress only those who can't see past them into the soul of the one who possesses them. Perhaps you could have all these things if you wanted them. But what would you sacrifice to get them? By making aspirations shared by everyone your own aspirations, you forfeit what is unique and interesting about yourself. The independent minded individuals, the only ones who really matter, will admire you for despising the things everyone else admires and striving for what you believe in.

Queerness isn't just about gender. It's about courage. It's about independence. It's about integrity. It's not limited to those attracted to their own sex. It's open to all. We only need to look into our hearts and try to find the courageous, independent, honest soul that has been whipped and beaten until it conformed. We need only free it from its fetters, and help it summon the courage to be queer, unique and fascinating in the way it and it alone can.

2 comments:

  1. I have to be honest: I (also a gay man) have always winced at the use of the word "queer" because of its pejorative, deprecating tone. However, your reflection above was so nicely written that I was able to get past my objections (okay, maybe only temporarily), and appreciate your point. I also have read several of your other posts and really enjoy your thoughts. I find it intriguing that you seem to have integrated your radical views with a fairly traditional set of spiritual beliefs. Am I right about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2ndWave. Thanks for your comment and encouragement. I like the term "queer" because it calls attention to oppression and expresses solidarity with other behavioral, religious and ethnic minorities that are still oppressed. I’m disturbed by the trend toward gentrification and bourgeoisification of the "gay lifestyle" that would encourage us to gloat over our successes and enjoy our freedoms while leaving other oppressed minorities behind. Yes, you could say I have integrated my radical views with traditional religious beliefs, or maybe it would be more accurate to say I have discovered the traditional religious origins of my own radicalism. The radicalism of Isaiah, for example, who points out the guilt of those who live in luxury while other human beings are starving, showing us the blood on our hands, is arguably one of the unacknowledged origins of all liberation movements. Understanding the historical origins of our ideas allows us to see if they have lost some of their original force, as, in the case of gay liberation, I think they certainly have.

      Delete