Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The servile soul

The 19th Century German poet Heinrich Heine describes the servility of his fellow Germans:
Servants that are without a master are not on that account free men: servility is in their soul. The German is like a slave who obeys his lord without chains or the lash, at mere command, aye, even at a sign. Slavery is in the man himself, in his soul. Spiritual is worse than material slavery. The Germans must be freed from within; from without there is no help for them.
What about Americans? What’s our highest aspiration? Our ideal of freedom? In my case, it was always to start my own business. In other words, to make myself servile to the marketplace directly, rather than at one remove through my employer. The idea of being master of myself, of creating what my genius and mine alone can create, with no regard for when or how the market will find a use for it—this is alien to Americans. Subservience to the marketplace has been so deeply encoded into our souls, it shows itself even in our daydreams of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment